English for academic purposes
English for academic purposes
We can offer private online classes to help you with specific academic purposes, such as preparing for a presentation or with proof reading for a report.
We not only make you aware of any corrections that are needed, but we teach you why these are errors to enable you to learn the tools to self-correct in the future.
One day I have decided that is time to step ahead and take a postgraduate course at Oxford Brookes University. Due to the classes and teacher’s support I can understand better and improve on the parts I struggle more. It is definitely helpful as only this way I believe it is easier to understand your mistakes and correct them.
About English for academic purposes classes
In an English for academic purposes class you will:
- Learn to write in a range of academic styles, such as a report, an essay, a proposal, an article.
- Learn to feel more confident communicating in an academic environment.
- Learn to give presentations.
- Develop your critical thinking skills.
– Class size: private one-to-one class.
– Levels available: A1 to C2.
– Lesson length: 60 minutes; 90 minutes or 120 minutes.
– Minimum enrolment age for adults is 16. No maximum enrolment age.
– Start date: any day.
– Timetable: daytime, evening and weekend times available.
– Placement level test with needs analysis.
– Initial language consultation to establish your specific learning needs and goals.
– 4-weekly reports of progress.
– Class materials.
– End of study certificate of attendance and level.
Frequently asked questions
When can I start?
What if I can't come to a class?
If you cannot come to a class, please tell Poppy 24 hours before the class, and you can then recover the class at a later date. If you don’t tell us 24 hours before the class, then unfortunately you will lose the class.
Do I have to pay a registration fee?
What do I need for the class?
You will need the following technical requirements: Wi-Fi or internet access; a laptop or PC with webcam, microphone and speakers. We will provide all the study materials used in class.
How will my progress be assessed?
Every 4 weeks you will be given a report based on what you will have studied in your classes in the previous 4 weeks. We provide extra links to exercises so that you can study at home further. We also assess your needs and progress continuously, based on how you communicate in class and your homework.
My shifts at work change every week. Is this a problem?
No. A lot of our students have jobs which mean that the days and times they work can change every week. We try to be as flexible and understanding as possible, and are happy for you to attend different days or times each week if necessary. We just need you to tell us the days you would like to come as soon as you know your working schedule.
Will I receive a certificate when I finish my classes?
Yes – you will receive a certificate stating your level and how many hours of English classes you have attended.
Can I combine exam classes with General English classes?
Yes. Lots of students choose to attend a General English class before their exam class. It is a really good idea to continue improving your all-round English while also preparing for your exam.
Will I need to buy a book?
You will not need to purchase any materials for the class.